School Improvement Council and PTO
School Improvement Council 2021-2022
Looking to serve on the 2021-2022 SIC? Please email Mrs. Marva Neal at email@example.com
Welcome and thank you for your interest in Whale Branch Elementary School Improvement Council (SIC).
Whale Branch Elementary School Improvement Council (SIC) serves our school principal and faculty in an advisory role, bringing together parents, educators, and community stakeholders to collaborate on the improvement of our school. SICs are mandated by law to exist in every public school in SC.
SIC is comprised of elected members, including parents of students in the school and teachers, elected by their peers. Community members are appointed by the principal, who takes care to ensure that these people represent the greater school community, including non-parent taxpayers. The Principal always serves as an ex-officio member, and may also appoint others including PTO representatives, business partners, teacher of the year, as ex-officio members.
Non-SIC members may serve on SIC committees.
Volunteers commit to serving approximately 2 hours per month for 9 months of the year, of meeting and planning time ensures that the quality of the life of our school will continue to improve. Members serve on subcommittees reporting back to the council.
Why Should You Serve?
When parents are involved in their children's education, children do better in school. Parents have the knowledge and perception based on their own children's experiences and have access to the insight of other parents which can provide a positive influence on the development of their child's school.
Community members who feel ownership in a school often are the best advocates for children and the school. Citizens who do not have children in the school can make unique contributions to the SIC based on their varied experiences and knowledge.
What School Improvement Councils Do
- Assist in the development of the school's 5 year improvement plan (AKA renewal or strategic plan)
- Assist the school in monitoring and evaluating the plan's implementation and help to update the plan each year.
- Write the annual Report to Parents- released by April 30 of each year.
- Advise on spending of incentive funds awarded to the school.
- Assist the Principal in writing the narrative for the annual School Report Card, issued by the SC Dept. of Education.
- Advise on the revisions of the school improvement plan if the school is rated “At Risk” on it's School Report Card.
SICs do not have any of the powers, responsibilities, and/ or duties of the local school board, nor do they organize any fund-raising.
Whale Branch Elementary School SIC meets the 1st Monday of each month. Meetings are open to the public to come and listen and learn. Please make an appointment to attend by contacting the school office.
Elections and appointments to the committee are held each spring and should be in place by October 15th each year. Contact the Principal for more information.
What is PTO and Why Join?
The number one reason to join the Parent Teacher Organization is to benefit your child. In doing so, you also help your school. But there are many more PTO advantages:
· Get Connected. There’s no better way to know what’s happening in your school.
· Tap into a Network. PTO functions are opportunities to meet other parents and teachers, building rapport and discussing issues that are on your mind. You can share ideas, concerns, and experiences.
· Watch Yourself Grow. By volunteering with your PTO, you put your skills and hobbies to use for a noble cause—your child and all children in the community.
· Speak Up. PTO can be a way for you to more effectively suggest change at your child’s school.
· Witness Improvement. By getting involved at your child’s school you’ll be part of the solution, helping make positive changes. Our PTO plays an important role by supporting building improvements through advocacy and play an important role in fundraising for curriculum-based programs and social/family events.
· Be a Role Model. By becoming a PTO member, you’ll be demonstrating to your child the importance you place on education.
We are currently developing a PTO at DELC and WBE. We want you to be a part of the team. This year we will be making sure that all parents are aware of what we do and the importance of why we do it. It is parents, teachers, and staff coming together once a month (1st Monday of the month) to discuss our school and potential experiences our PTO may fund/offer our children. You do not have to commit to anything. We will not force you to volunteer or attend meetings. It is all AT-WILL. But as everyone knows, the more opinions and voices, the better ideas that will be brought to the table for discussion. We would really like to hear from you all regarding what the PTO should focus on and ideas on how to acquire the funds to do so. We do try our hardest to keep the meetings to an hour. We also communicate via email, Facebook, text, etc. It is an amazing opportunity to be a part of something BIG and POSITIVE. We need a PTO board, and we would like to plan a couple of different events that we would like to have volunteers for. Volunteering will not be a fulltime commitment. It is a “do as you can” and “all help is appreciated” kind of commitment. Please click on the link below and complete the survey if you are interested in being part of our PTO. Feel free to contact the school with any questions or concerns. We would love for you to be an active part of our Tiger Shark Family and a part of your child’s education experience. Plus…we really are going to have fun!!!!
Making Great Memories & Experiences for our children!!